Saturday, May 17, 2014

MY FAMILY CULTURE

The three items I would take with me to my new destination that will represent my family culture would include a DVD boxed set of the "ROOTS" documentary. ROOTS was a made for television documentary made in 1977 by Alex Haley, depicting the history of Africans and their travels to America due to the kidnapping by the British in Africa. It was a harsh and at times hard to visualize but it is my story. I would also bring with me a photo album of family pictures taken at family reunions. Black family reunions are positive cultural events usually held annually or biannually by family members at different host cities. They celebrate the strengths and traditional values of the African American family. The 3rd item would be a cast iron skillet used for cooking and frying. In Africa cast iron pots would be used to cook on in open pits. Slaves also used these skillets/pots in slavery in the Southern states. Today these skillets are still a mainstay in African American homes. I would feel sad if I would have to give up two of the items upon my arrival to the island. They all have equal importance. When I first read this blog assignment hastily, I thought I had to just bring 3 items, immediately I thought IPOD, batteries and my phone. Then I reread the details, I had to give some thought to the exercise to realize what was truly a representation of myself. It was an interesting exercise which caused me to think deeper. Reference http://www.soul=food-advisor.com/Soul-Food-History.html http://www.ncnw.org/events/reunion_history
.htm

3 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post about family culture. I think you chose some items that are near and dear to you. It is important to remember your "roots" by bringing the Roots film. I think we should always remember where we came from so that we don't repeat the past. I also enjoyed reading about your skillet. I bet you cooked some amazing meals in that. I have seen a pattern in the posts I have read because they all revolve around food Food is usually the center of a family's culture. Thanks for sharing this!
    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, I enjoyed reading you post. Picking three items out of all the processions we have is terrible, but to narrow it down to one is devastating. Once I had an iron skillet that was handed down from generation to generation, but it was stolen from me. I would have chosen the iron skillet also. I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    Even if we had to travel with none of our precious items we know our stories and are able to share them with others. That is a gift as well, to be able to tell other cultures about where you came from and how you have succeeded! I noticed your picture at Walden! So wonderful that you have been there. I wish more than anything that I could put a cap and gown on and go to graduation. I did not get to for my Bachelor's and I do not believe I will be able to for my Master's, but again I do not need the piece of paper to know that I have succeeded and to be able to share that story with others.

    ReplyDelete