Saturday, May 31, 2014

PRACTICING AWARENESS OF MICROAGGRESSIONS

I experienced a microassault once in a bank. There were at least 6 people on line. When it was my turn the teller looked at the next person in line and said "How can I help you?". For a second I thought I was living in the twilight zone. I am not a small person that someone can overlook. I was in a little bit of a shock for about 30 seconds. After that period I said "Excuse me, but am I invisible? I was standing next in line!". The teller acted like she hadn't even seen me standing there. She tried to laugh off the matter. I was born and raised in New York. As a minority, being African American, we do not put up with racism too well. Some of my counterparts that may live in other regions of America may fear being outspoken but we do not. After that she acknowledged me but I am sure if I was some type of docile, introvert she would have skipped right over giving me any kind of customer service. I felt outrage, it really doesn't take much for me. I dislike inequality and unfairness, for anyone. I have spoken up for other people also when I see something being done unjustly. It didn't matter what skin color they had, if they are being treated poorly, I will bring their attention to it. James Baldwin stated in one of our articles this week that "the messages of racism teach that the lives of racialized peoples are dispensable and disposable, that the work of racialized peoples is less valuable, that the thinking of racialized people is less useful, that the concerns of racialized peoples are trivial" (Mables & Mables, 2010). In that moment the teller made me feel devalued. After a brief and to the point chat, I hope she learned a lesson that you cannot treat or mistreat people in the way that she did. Reference Margles, S., & Margles, R. M. (2010). Inverting racism's distortions. Our Schools/Our Selves, 19(3), 137--149. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database: http://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=51372248&site=ehost-live&scope=site

4 comments:

  1. Karen,
    That behavior by the teller was inexcusable, I am so sorry that happened to you. I grew up right outside of New York City and was exposed to diversity all the time, as well as many individuals that cursed all these different races and diversities moving into 'their' area. I have also stood up for others that are being treated unjustly and commend you for sticking up for yourself and so many others as some would have just let what happened to you go by the wayside. People need to realize that just because someone's skin color is not the same as their's does not give them a reason to treat them with disrespect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    It's amazing to me how bold people can be.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I feel as if I have had the same conversations with people recently. I am white and I work in a neighborhood that is primarily african-american and latino. I am the minority. I once had a parent come in screaming at me and I was trying to respond to their concerns, they just said, "oh you don't get it" and turn to my front desk assistant. I would have thought they would have wanted to speak with someone that could fix the situation. I am sorry that happened to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen I can relate because the same thing has happened to me. Then they go are you waiting to be waited on and I say do I look like I am standing here for my health. Oh can I help you" It works my nerve some times but I remain calm.

    ReplyDelete