Saturday, January 18, 2014

SHARING WEB RESOURCES

I subscribed to two newsletters. The first one I chose deals with the early childhood educators in Haiti. Haiti was involved in an earthquake a few years ago and has not fully recovered yet. Families re still living in tents. Many children are not attending school regularly. The World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE) values innovation, diversity and actions. The Haiti Case Study follows the Tipa Tipa method that trains pre-school teachers and parents on personal development, community spirit and values. I was motivated by this newsletter to learn more about how the educators increase their personal development and how the education system was being improved in the aftermath of the natural disaster. This newsletter subscription site is at www.wise-qatar.org/content/wise-haiti-case-study-tipa-tipa. The second newsletter I subscribed to was from the International Child Resource Institute in Kenya. The Daraja Early Care Program enables Africa's poorest children to receive an high quality education in an activity driven environment. The newsletter also supports a Grassroots Advocacy Project which assists women, children and families with networking and mentoring. Kidsafe Project is a rights based child abuse prevention curriculum. They have training courses on child advocacy. I was drawn to this newsletter because this Institute is empowering the children and the families. Prevention of child abuse is a very important topic because we lose our children in this manner by caregivers who may not have coping mechanisms, mental illness or other ailments. This newsletter is located at www.icrichild.org/Kenya

4 comments:

  1. I am really interested in finding about the Haitian Early Childhood System. I am from Jamaica. I am so close to them yet so far. I find that much networking is not in the field of early childhood in the Caribbean. We depend so much on developed coutries like Canada and the USA to imitate but many times we find ourselves in a bind and we have to go back to what we really do best. I believe developing countries believe they do not have much to offer to the field of early childhood. We need to stop and listen to the grass roots people and I believe we could accomplish more for our people.Haitians have very brilliant children who do well under very poor conditions and then there is the rich that have all the priveleges. The distribution of wealth and resources is so unbalanced. I am really looking forward to learn more about early childhood in Haiti
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made sure to com back to your blog, because I was very intrigued last week. Its nice to know that WISE is an integral part of providing services to parents and children. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,

    I'm glad that you subscribe to a newletter in Hati. Since the earthquake I've often wondered how the community has been able to get back on their feet. I look forward to reading the information and learning about the early childhood education in Hait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I had to subscribe to some site too. After reading some of the articles, they did email me back and you will be very glad and enjoy the conversations.

    ReplyDelete