Saturday, March 15, 2014

MY PERSONAL RESEARCH JOURNEY

I've decided to research the effects of death of a child's pets and/or loved one. I also want to research how I as a caregiver/educator can assist with teaching coping skills to children. So far I have learned that reputable websites most often end in edu, org, or gov. I will be very careful in choosing the sites I pick for my research information. I do not know anyone who has done this research before. I think it is an important topic because death strikes everyone regardless of age. Qualitative research will be done to show the meaning or significance of death and it's affect on children ages 5-13 years old. I will take a qualitative approach to learn how children understand and make sense of the topic. Do any of my colleagues have any insights or advice dealing with this subject? Mac Naughton, G., Rolfe, S.A., & Siraj-Blatchford, I. (2010). Doing early childhood research: International perspectives on theory and practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,
    I think you have chosen a very good area to research. I remember as a child I had a cat for a pet and was devasted when a car hit him and he died. I also lost two friends in Prep school, one from cancer and the other by car accident. I can remember being scared and sad for months. My parents could not understand my behavior because in my early childhood days no one spoke about the death of a loved one and it affects on children. I basically suffered alone. But this is changing because in my country when a child loses a loved one the child is offered grief counselling. All the best with the research and I hope to support and learn much from you for the next couple of weeks.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete