Saturday, September 7, 2013

Personal Birthing Experience

My personal birthing experience begins with the fact that after 21 years of motherhood, I was pregnant again at age 40! I call it a cross of temporary insanity and mid life crisis. My pregnancy included having a hospitalization in my 5th month due to pneumonia, low amniotic fluid hospital admission at 8 months and the year 2001 had the hottest summer ever. My due date was 9/5/01. On August 9th of that year it was 103 degrees, I thought I was going to die. I couldn't breathe and on one of those last frequent doctor's appointments, I told him it was time for her to come out. Heexamined me and did a little trick and the next day I delivered her on 8/19. The nicest part of delivery was that as soon as the nurses found out I was a nurse I was put into a suite which was huge and beautifully decorated. When my daughter arrived she had the biggest eyes, looking all around the room. Usually babies eyes are closed or squinting from the light but she was alert and looking from the first second. She's 12 now and doesn't miss anything with her eyes. I advised her to get a job from the CIA or FBI. Did you know that your eyeballs are the same size from birth until death? The country I researched was Brazil. In that country's birthing process traditions include the expectant mother preparing a basket with souvenirs to give out to each person that comes to the hospital to visit with a note of thanks. It is sort of like party favors given out at American baby showers. Brazilian women also get there hair and make-up done professionally before giving birth. Women there also get a Brazilian wax prior to birth. The majority of women in America don't really get all gussied up prior to delivery. We seem to concentrate on the pain too much to look pretty. In America, visitors that come to the hospital, usually arrive bearing baby gifts. References http://www.designmom.com/2010/02/braziliam-pregnancy-story-from-damaris-palmer/ http://www.disneybaby.com/blog/baby-customs-traditions-rituals-around-world/

5 comments:

  1. Hi Karen!
    thanks for sharing your personal birth experience. Your daughter sounds like a beautiful blessing at the end of a trying pregnancy! I enjoyed reading about how Brazilian mothers prepare for childbirth. I have noticed with my friends that more and more of them are aware of how they look during or right after childbirth too! I had one friend recently buy a special hospital gown that was more "glamorous" than the ones given out at the hospital so that she would like the way she looked in pictures documenting the birth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog. I find it very interesting that Brazilian women get pampered before giving birth. I do not have any children so I have not experienced that aspect but I think it would be difficult. But I think it is great they look their best during one of the most important moments in their life. Great blog! -Persephone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    What a great post! I love all the somewhat humorous facts you included. Like Persephone said, the preparation that Brazilian would do before labor is very different to many women here in the US that I know. I was lucky to find a hair tie that day, had no make-up and can't remember if I even brushed my teeth before I left for the hospital because I had been up all night in labor at home and left for the hospital at 6am...
    Darcie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I enjoyed your blog tremendously.Having another baby in your forties my hat is off to you. I also had a child that was very alert when he was born. The birth ritual in Brazil is very accomodating to the mom. It is a beautiful time in in a womans life and we should be pampered. I am not sure about the brazilian wax ouch that might hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,

    Birth in your forties is great. After all it is the new 30. :)
    I enjoyed learning about how the Brazilian women prepare for child birth. I know I made it a point to do my hair but sweated it out in that quick four hours of labor. I do think it is wonderful that the women are pampered and especially if they do it for themselves more than anything. However, the waxing, I will pass on that. There is enough going on down there to be worried about a waxing.

    ReplyDelete