Saturday, July 20, 2013

Personal Childhood Web

My parents on their wedding day. My dad was shipped out to the Korean War the next day. The marriage lasted 32 years. Their love was unspoken. He returned from the war a different man, images of the war haunted him. He was a great provider, and so was she. She entered the job field when I was 6 years old, just to have extra money in her pocket and to contribute to the family. My dad paid all the bills. I remember him paying all his charge card bills at the dining room table, one by one. There were so many. He was also a great disciplinarian, which is why he did such a good job as a Corrections Captain. We didn't see him much due to his work schedule but he did provide us with shelter, food and clothing.  My mom was sweet as candy, always smiling, a great mom. I was her favorite. I was the youngest and was spoiled rotten. Still am!

My godmother "Pee Wee". She loved me like her own from the age of 9 until I was adult. She always had her door open. I was not baptised until I was 21, so I basically got to pick my godmother. We were similar. She was born October 10th and I am October 2nd. We had so many good times together. She supported me in anything I wanted to do.

My grandparents in North Carolina. Mama Val and Papa Collins. He was my step grandfather but you could never tell that. He taught me how to grow tomatoes. He took me fishing. He owned a candy store in the house, so I even was allowed to be cashier at the age of 13. I would go to North Carolina every summer, from the day after school closed until the weekend before school opened in NY again.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, it was great to read the stories of the people who nurtured you as a child. Isn't it amazing, the small things that are impactful for young children? Your vivid memories of your dad paying bills at the kitchen table, of growing tomatoes and fishing with your grandfather, all impacted some aspect of your development. I saw parallels between your father and my own--a veteran of the Korean war era, lifelong work ethic. I also loved the beautiful pictures of your family! Thank you for sharing a glimpse of the childhood that helped to create the adult and educator that you are today.

    -Susan

    ReplyDelete